Tennessee Trail Riders

A social network of avid trail riders and horse enthusiasts

We are strictly a community of horse owners/lovers (4,000 members)

I recently had my horse shod, a week ago. She came up lame in all four feet the next day. I mean she can barely walk. We have been soaking her feet every day. I read on the net that taking them to the creek and soaking is the best. We have taken her the last two days and is doing better, but I am going to or was going to the Tennessee State saddle club association show in nine days. I am really flustered. I have been riding her all summer long on long trail rides and showing and having a blast and all the sudden, I just don't know what to think.
I had the farrier to come back out and he did foot test to see if she was tender on her feet but he said she was not sore. She didn't flinch, so i believed what he said. So why is she doing this?
Has this ever happened to any one else, if so How did you help your horse?

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Link is above the pic.

http://www.tennesseetrailriders.com/profiles/blogs/is-your-vetfarri...

This is an abscess forming.
Horse is not lame yet.

Hoof testers and vet checks miss a lot until the problem is in advanced stages.

This is another option available, should your horse not respond to other treatment.
thanks for that. I'm still praying.
I have a fat pony with the cresty neck and fat deposits, etc., and I started him on a supplement called Quiessesence, which seems to help some. It is high in magnesium which also helps calm him so that he isn't so pushy at dinner time. It isn't very expensive (as far as supplements go) and it may work some for you.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=17

I get mine in smartpaks because of the cost to buy such a huge bucket of it! There are some other metabolic supplements on that site that may also help you.
thanks for that, i did look at that site. I might have to find a different place to order my thyrol medicine if she has to be continual on it.
Hi Y'all, I will put in my two cents' worth. My good TWH mare foundered this spring, now has two sets of founder rings growing down all four hooves. I have had enough shoeing jobs to see "hot" nails, or quicked nails on occasion. Your original description sounds like the farrier trimmed the hooves too short and quicked nails in all feet, I would advise pulling the shoes, let her go barefoot for a few weeks then call a farrier. Interesting thermograph picture above. You can throw money at these animals until there's none left, or be patient and remove whatever is hurting them (such as too much green grass, or the hot nail) and give them enough time to heal. A second horse can come in real handy sometimes if you can keep 2 or more head.
NG
Sounds like your horse got a trim that was too drastic and shoes nailed on with little wall left. I would only go 5 weeks between shoeings or trimmings because when the hoof grows too long the farrier has to trim lots and it's a big change. I would take the shoes off mud or poultice (animal lintex is good) and then start hardening them up with turpentine on the sole or Keratex hoof hardener when the feet cool out some.
I'm with Nancy. It sure sounds like a few hot nails to me! I'd pull those shoes......yesterday!! I bet you'll see the absesses come out at the top before long.(If it's already been a week, you probably won't be able to get it to draw out of the bottom of the hoof. Once they bust out, he'll be comfortable IMMEDIATELY!) Is this your regular farrier? He couldn;'t possibly have done a pressure test where the horse would be sore if the shoes are still on! Pull the shoes and wrap his feet with Icthamol and Vetrap, then cover them really good with duct tape.You will only need to re-wrap them when the wrap gets loose or comes off. It does seem odd that he would quick ALL 4 FEET, though. But this is not likely that he foundered this time of year. (I'm no vet, but that's what my vet told me when my big SSH came up sore in both front feet 4 days after having front shoes put on last fall.) Like I said. I'm no vet, I can only share my experiences. And the Icthamol works like a charm to bring out an absess.
Susan, Everyone is giving you alot of information here, I hope you don't mind my two cents worth. It appears to me that you say the horse had cushing like symptoms when you purchased the horse. Was this horse previously foundered? If not then you can ignore this post. When a horse founders there is a lot of damage that can occur in the hoof. If an owner is diligent you can minimize the damage but if the horse is left to his own and can recover, the hoof is not a normal hoof any longer. For this reason you need xrays to establish depth of sole and degree of rotation. When the edima swelling occurs in founder it will shut off the blood supply to toe area of the hoof. This will damage the lamini which holds the live tissue to the hoof horn. The stress of the tendon pulling on the coffin bone (Hoof bone) will stretch this lamini and destroy it. The coffin bone will begin to descend in the hoof (or some Farriers/Vets will say the hoof capsule rises), but either way, the result is the P3 coffin bone is pressing down towards the sole. The trim and placement on the shoe has to be taken in account on this type of hoof. If you don't have radiographs a farrier is using reference points and just making an educated guess. Also there is mention of abcesses and hot nails. I don't believe that is the case here dealing with 4 feet. If you pull the shoes off and the there is no sole depth then you could have a really ouchy horse. If the shoe is causing further pain in the P3 then you don't want to keep them on. I recommend you pull the shoes and have radiographs taken. Not all Vets are equal when taking xrays. Don't through money out the window. Get one that can take a good xray of all four feet. Then work with a Farrier that can read them. This will tell the Vet/Farrier team what you have to work with and the best possible plan to make your horse useable again. Lastly, If the horse has a stretched toe (They call this seedy lamini) it harbors bacteria, rocks, mud etc...and is very prone to an abcess. This will usually exit at the coronary band and grow out with the hoof wall. Abcesses can be extremely painful but to have all four feet at the same time right after a reset I don't think so.

RSS

Advertise on TTR Website:

Want to share your message with other Tennessee Trail Riders' ?

Call or text me at 615-202-9912

Direct Email Communications: $.15/contact

Cheers and happy trails!

© 2021   Created by Mike Murphy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service