A social network of avid trail riders and horse enthusiasts
We are strictly a community of horse owners/lovers (4,000 members)
Ok, I saw this recently and thought I would share:
Trail riding etiquette
These rules are modified from the website of United States Trail Ride, Inc. Perhaps we should think about adopting them for our rides.
10. If your horse is prone to kick, put a red ribbon on its tail. If it is green or young, put a green ribbon. This warns others and acts as a constant reminder that they need to show extra caution. If you are riding a stallion, identify it with a yellow ribbon. If your horse of any sex is unruly, leave it at home.
11. Do not ride to close to the rear of other horses, not only may you be kicked, but you can't see where you are going, either.
12. Warn the rider in front of you before attempting to pass a horse and rider.
13. Do not canter/gallop past other riders, if you want to go faster, pass first and then warn the other riders before accelerating.
14. Ride single file.
15. On roadways, all riders must stay on one side of the road, in single file. A horse is a vehicle, and must follow the rules of the road.
16. When changing gait, warn other riders, to avoid being rear-ended or encouraging runaways. Pass on the left, and when passing oncoming traffic, left shoulder to left shoulder the customary position. Just think of driving your car, minus the "road rage."
17. Do not pass the trail "boss" or leader. Stay with the group, don't wander off or trail blaze.
18. Don't be a chronic complainer. If you can't take some inconvenience, stay home!
19. Stay out of people's yards and fields. If you must enter, ride on the edges to avoid damage to the property.
20. Avoid livestock completely; if this is not possible, don't take it as an invitation to cattle rustle.
21. If you see a hole, or dangerous obstacle, point out the obstacle as you warn the other riders.
22. After your ride, don't forget to thank your host or leader for the opportunity to ride. Keep in mind a lot of work goes into an organized ride even before the day you ride, so try to be a good sport even if you didn't have a great time.