Tennessee Trail Riders

A social network of avid trail riders and horse enthusiasts

We are strictly a community of horse owners/lovers (4,000 members)

My new horse is at the trainers right now and whenever he is not being ridden or worked he is in the stall.  He doesn't get round pen priveleges because he paws the panels and we are afraid he will get his leg through the panels and get hurt.  Please give me some GOOD ideas on how to stop this.  Someone already mentioned hobbles.....

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most horses paw when they are hungry.
He gets fed twice a day and has hay 24/7....hmmmm....Could be possible he was put out before he ate breakfast or perhaps near supper time.....I will check on that.
Maybe it has more to do with being a 3yo? He has been on pasture most of his life and is now spending a lot of time in the stall. He has excellent stall manners, though. I was over there again today. He was in the round pen when I arrived and for a few minutes after I arrived, but was not pawing. I hope, maybe, it is not a big problem since we do use Haul-A-Stalls portable corral panels (www.supremewalker.com) some when we camp.
Thanks for the feedback. Will keep this in mind.
Perhaps he is bored.........I wouldn't want to hobble a stalled horse, to me that sounds a bit cruel and after all he is just a baby. He may be bored, not like being separated and just have a lot of unreleased energy. Some horses paw, others don't, is he a bit of a high strung type horse? I had a young horse that would literally try and climb out of his stall. With time and patience he has gladly grown out of this bad and dangerous habit and he is now pretty relaxed in his stall. When tied up for any length of time though he thinks he has to start pawing with one front foot (I think he's just trying to show us he can count, lol - just kidding) but no joke he's young and so remember he's just a baby and sometimes they go through stages. However, some horses just paw when others don't, depending on their temperment.
He is very quiet and calm by nature. Very well mannered in the stall. Doesn't try to run over me to get out when I go into his stall. Stands back and let's me clean or put down shavings. I have only had him for just over a week, so it may just be him settling into a new environment. Actually, he was only at my place for 4 days then went to the trainers. So, he has had quite a bit of change. It was the pawing of the panels of the round pen that had me concerned, but he wasn't doing that yesterday. I just wanted him to be able to be out of the stall part of the day, but not at the risk of him hurting himself.
I would prefer not to hobble...period!...and have no intention of hobbling him while in the stall.
Thanks for the feedback.
I have found that tying and letting them stand works well. Do not untie him while he is pawing wait until he is still and quiet. This can take hours, and several weeks.
He must get some turn out time, especially if he is yound, but every horse needs time to kick up their heels, roll, just be a horse. It also really helps if he has a companion he can be turned out with.
I hate keeping one in a stall. I don't usually have one at the trainers, either. I have been going over every day and spending time with him, getting him out to look around, walk around and graze a bit. Our horses are usually on pasture 24/7. Days like today are an exception. Our other horse, who is here, had so much snow and ice packed in his hooves this morning that I put him up in his stall and cleaned his feet. I will let him back out as soon as this little bit of snow melts away.
I am really excited about Bear. He has a really sweet personality and mostly handles things really well. I can hardly wait to get him home and begin riding him myself.
My young horse pawed and I put a kick chain on one leg. Mine had fleece on them and that worked fine. Friend also said to have your farrier give you a set of his shoes and just put the shoe on the pastern and let it rest there and it will not come off or rub unless he paws. That worked also but I just liked the kick chain better. When he pawed he actually hit himself with the chain and stopped.
I have heard about the shoe thing, but had heard they had to be hobbled first, then the shoe would make them think they were still hobbled. I will keep it in mind. Thanks.
Melinda, I tried the horseshoe trick with a mare when tied years ago and it worked for her. Good luck.
Linda
My paws only when he eats and I put it on him over night. Every now and then when he paws I put it back on.

RSS

Advertise on TTR Website:

Want to share your message with other Tennessee Trail Riders' ?

Call or text me at 615-202-9912

Direct Email Communications: $.15/contact

Cheers and happy trails!

© 2022   Created by Mike Murphy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service