Tennessee Trail Riders

A social network of avid trail riders and horse enthusiasts

We are strictly a community of horse owners/lovers (4,000 members)

Hey all,
I've got an embarrassing problem, got a new horse, perfect in every way but one. She spins and walks off when I go to mount her. If I tighten up on the reins, she backs up. I've had horses all my life, but can't get this one to stop. I'm sure it's a learned behavior and since I'm getting "older" I can't mount on the run anymore. I believe that she knows if I can't get on, she won't be ridden.
Worked with her in the round pen, put her to work everytime she moves. She still moves. Flexing is ok as long as I don't put a foot in the stirrup.
Clipped her to the trailer, she swings her butt into my face. Keeps doing it even if I scould her. Can even move around in cross-ties. No ouchy spots on her back, she stands to be saddled. I do make sure she is square.
She will allow me to mount if hubby holds the reins, but he won't be able to ride for 5 more months and I really want to ride and not have to ask perfect strangers to hold my horse while I get on :(
Is there something that I haven't thought of?

Views: 408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you have "fixed" this problem, I'd love to know what worked for you. You've gotten alot of good suggestions here, and I'd like to know what worked for you and what didn't. Thanks.
If you cant get her to stand still with all these tips, I work with behavior problems like this. You can bring her to me!

Gail
I just recently got back an old horse which was my show horse (country pleasure) in the 90s. He has learned several bad habits from his prior owners which he NEVER had and he also would not stand still to mount, kept wanting to yield his hind quarters. Finally every time he started moving his hindquarters I just increased the pressure and made him go around and around a couple circles that way. Then when I got ready to mount if he moved we'd do it again,,,,,,,,,after a couple times he would stand still. A few days later, same thing, after doing this about 3 or 4 days now he no longer offers to move. I think he's learned it's easier to stand still. I also believe this is pretty much what Clinton Anderson says to do and it worked for me!
My last horse wouldn't stand still either, did the same things. I first tried clipping a lead to to the top of the head stall, in the hall of the barn then I would jump on then unclip. One day he sat back and almost hurt me bad.
So, then I called a trainer over, told him the problem. He told the horse to be still, said easy, easy, in his voice. when the horse tried to walk off he slapped him on the side of the neck really loud and said "stand there"!!!.. Would you believe the horse never walked off again!!! Crazy hun! The trainer told me, he walks off because He knows he can with you. It's a mental thing. Be firm stand your ground. But, I don't advise tying the horse up to try and mount. Try it, be firm and mean what you say.
Good Luck!
I see that youve gotten plenty of advice from lots of people ,an most of them have given you sound advice for most horses,every once in awhile you have to be creative an finds what works for you,,but the one thing that i didnt see ,was when to release,and that reffers to lessons as well,when you make even a small amount of progress ,its time to go do something else ,or even better ,start again tommorrow.Practicing mounting over an over ,wont make her better ,it ll only make things worse.If you can get just your toe in the stirrup on day one ,make like it was something great,pet her ,then work from there,,,remember they learn from the release ,sometimes we forget that small ,but important step in training,also the flexing if done right is very helpful if done correctly,but if the timing is not right ,it can sometimes do more harm than good>so even if it cost alittle more money,ask a reliable trainer to watch you go thru some of your steps to make sure that your doing everything right,then let him help you for an hour ,,,,you might be surprised at what he might tell you ,,,,,i train, an do a few clinics ,an most of us will go to other trainers to ask just the same thing ,,you[all of us]never quit learning,standing to mount is a relatively simple thing to teach an one of the easiest thing to spoil on a horse,when you do figure it out ,your gonna be surprized how simple it really was>also the term ,cowboyed ,is way far from the truth,cowboys[the real ones],are proud of the way their horses handle,you ll never see one of theirs walk off,run away,or even carry their heads up out of position,,but we use that term to reffer to the so called redneck cowboys>but didnt mean to preach ,but ,get a little hands on help,an what you ll learn for this problem will also go a long way in fixing many other preblems in the future
Have the same problem with a 17 hand warmblood mare. I have a fussed left ankle and therefore if she moves just a little I cannot get my foot in the stirrup safetly. I have her at an indoor right now and am trying to correct her. At home I mounted her in my wash rack that is outside. It is has 3 sides and once mounted we back out and are on our way. Don't have that at the indoor. WE play "ring around the mounting block" a lot.
I had the same problem of the horse walking off as soon as you mount. I use a mounting block where i can get on quickly, and I take a hold of the reins and if the horse moves off without me asking, I back the horse up very agressivley until they are tired and then see if the horse will stand still then. If not I repeat getting on and backing up,getting on and backing up....soon the horse will get sick of this and find out that it is much easier to just stand still for mounting. Don't forget lots of praise when they finally get ti right. You can even do this from the ground if they won't stand at the mounting block. Horses don't like to back up,as they don't do it in the wild.
I use the mounting block because of the fussed ankle. NO FLEXABILITY
Never be too embarrassed to hire a good trainer, if necessary. The way I look at it, paying a good trainer can be the cheapest insurance you ever purchased. That is why my 3yo is being ridden by someone else before I hit the trails on him.
Tory's suggestions are good.

BUT, if you have a saddle problem, as you indicate you may still have, then it's time to fix it first. No amount of reasonable training will fix the standing still problem if the saddle hurts when you put any amount of weight on the saddle.

Once the saddle issue is resolved, another little aid I've used to help get them started standing still, is to put her nose into a corner, preferably inside the barn to start with. If she starts moving around force her forward. Obviously, she can not go forward. If she continues to move around while in the corner, then tie her in the corner and leave her for several hours. Tie therapy can work wonders. IF she still wants to move around when you try to mount, then tie a sack on her back. Fill the sack with sand, or any thing, that ways about 50 lbs or better. Then leave her tied with the sack on her back.

And there may be a residual problem from prior saddle fit issues. If she was sored by a poor fitting saddle in the past, she may be anticipating the pain. If that's the case, the corner work with the weighted sand bag can be very helpful. It will let her know the weight will not hurt her. Once she is convinced the weight will not be painful, then standing still becomes less of a problem.

RSS

Advertise on TTR Website:

Want to share your message with other Tennessee Trail Riders' ?

Call or text me at 615-202-9912

Direct Email Communications: $.15/contact

Cheers and happy trails!

© 2022   Created by Mike Murphy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service