Tennessee Trail Riders

A social network of avid trail riders and horse enthusiasts

We are strictly a community of horse owners/lovers (4,000 members)

MY 15 yr. old spotted saddle horse that I have raised is gravely ill. In fact he will die soon. He has cancer of the small intestines or large, not sure, Sounds like it is some type of lymphomia. He started getting sick in Nov. of last year. First thing was wt. loss. then he started having dependent edema. At U.T. he was diag. with IBS ( inflam. bowel disease.) We thought it was due to food allergy or some type of infection. After 2 mos of antibiotics and 1 mo. of steroids, finished the steroids in late Feb. He is now going down hill fast, wt loss is rapid ,appetite is almost gone except for grazing. He has no muscles mass left. My Vet tells me he will get weaker and will not be able to get up after he gets down at some point. I was just wondering if anyone had this happen and is able to give me a time as to how long this will take. I'm trying my best to get prepared not that I will be able to. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone out there has had this kind of cancer and can give me some words of comfort. thanks Nancy G.

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Nancy, I know you left work early the other day, I thought it was Muff, I am sorry that he is so sick.
I know how much he means to you. I meant to check on you Friday evening but things have been a little hectic with Rick coming home Friday. Take Care and if you need me left me know.
Nancy,
I had an Appaloosa QH that lived to be 35 years old! Her name was Snowflake. The only regret I have is that I kept her too long. After all her teeth fell out, I started feeding her Equine Senior, and making mashes for her, all to no avail. Then one morning I found her down in the field unable to stand. She'd been down for several hours judging from the ground around her. It was so sad. I had been selfish and didn't want to put her down. I got her up, brought her to the house and called the vet. She put her down and Snowflake died with her pretty old spotted head in my lap. I hope she forgave me for allowing her to suffer. That last 4 or 5 months was tough on her. Please don't let that happen to your horse. It's hard to live with. Let him die with some dignity, don't wait 'til it's too late. You will remember him that way for the rest of your life.
I know what you are going through. I lost my horse to a similar situation 8 yrs ago. It took him 9 months, but I tried everything. We lived near New Orleans and I took him to LSU vet school twice. The end was painful and I spent 3-4 hrs with him waiting for the vet to arrive to put him down. But, a really strange thing happened; he was pacing round and round in the pen in agony. I went to the side of the pen and called to him, he came over leaned against the rails for support and I was able to put my arms around his neck. I spent the next couple of hours singing and praying over him and he was able to rest against me there. He was a really special horse and I have been trying to find his replacement since. I have 6 horses and have to quit and except each one for the special qualities they possess. I'm attaching a copy of a poem I wrote hope it brings you comfort. I believe I will be with my friend again one day.
Blessings, Linda
Attachments:
It sure is hard to let one go, but its a necessary part of living on earth. I had to lay to rest an old friend last fall, when he got where he couldn't get up on his own.
Winter was coming on and I knew I had to do it before he got stuck in a cold rain.
Hi Nancy, My heart aches for you. I lost our three year old spottted saddle horse in December, not to cancer but from colic. I sill miss him everyday, I can imagine how sad you feel. God Bless you! Dawn

RSS

Advertise on TTR Website:

Want to share your message with other Tennessee Trail Riders' ?

Call or text me at 615-202-9912

Direct Email Communications: $.15/contact

Cheers and happy trails!

© 2021   Created by Mike Murphy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service