Tennessee Trail Riders

A social network of avid trail riders and horse enthusiasts

We are strictly a community of horse owners/lovers (4,000 members)

My friend has called from Texas and asked me to see if anyone has had a horse with these symptoms. The horse is at a local vets and he cannot find what is wrong.

1. First symptoms seemed like colic, but not

2. very lethargic/head down does not move

3. acts like in pain and cannot walk well

4. drinking, eating (hay only) and regular bowel and kidney function

5. no fever, blood work does not reveal infection

6. some swelling on front legs and this seems to be where a lot of the pain is

Anyone have any ideas? She is 4 hours from a vet school and does not want to transport her that far. Is staying at the local vets until Saturday. I just know someone out there has some info to help her. Thanks everyone.

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cocoa has been given a clean billof health and permission to travel to S.D. and WY the end of June. Amazing!!! Thanks for the prayers!
Sounds like Anaplasmosis - A Tick Borne Disease -   I really hope Coco gets better and you find out the problem.
Cindy

Equine Anaplasmosis

Recently we have seen several cases of Equine Anaplasmosis, formerly called Equine Ehrlichiosis. Typically this is a disease we see in the fall rather than in the spring. The recent prolonged wet weather has increased the number of early season incidences.

Horses usually start to show symptoms anytime from eighteen to twenty five days after infestation. The most common signs may include fever, depression, going off feed, leg swelling, reluctance to move, and having a yellow color to their gums. This is a treatable disease and responds well to multiple doses of intravenous antibiotics.

The causative agent of this disease is a Ricksettial organism called Anaplasma phagocytophilum. Ricksettial agents are a form of specialized bacteria. They are found in the white blood cells of the body (neutrophils & eosinophils), and cause a decrease not only in the number of white blood cells, but also in the number of platelets and red blood cells, leading to anemia.

This bacterium is transmitted to our horses by the western black legged tick. This tick is in the same family as the famous deer tick which transmits Lyme’s disease. It can take as little as one day or as long as nine days for the tick to transmit the organism.

There is currently not a vaccine available for the prevention of this disease, so precaution is your best bet. Use insecticides that repel ticks, and check your horses thoroughly for signs of tick infestation. If your horse is exhibiting any of the previously mentioned symptoms, please call to schedule an exam.

Sounds like our mare that had epm years ago.  Bless you and yours with this struggle!!

RSS

Advertise on TTR Website:

Want to share your message with other Tennessee Trail Riders' ?

Call or text me at 615-202-9912

Direct Email Communications: $.15/contact

Cheers and happy trails!

© 2023   Created by Mike Murphy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service