Tennessee Trail Riders

A social network of avid trail riders and horse enthusiasts

We are strictly a community of horse owners/lovers (4,000 members)

my heart is broken, today I had to have big jim put down. =(

we had tried a treatment to help him, but it didn't work.  went to work this morning, and my step mom called and told me jim was down.  I called David, ask him to go check on jim.

he called me back said its not good you need to come home and call the vet.

I left work and called my vet. When I got to the house I seen jim down, I walked thru the gate and said " big boy"....he lifted his head whinned, and laid back down, he tried to get up but couldn't.   the vet  he came out to the house and said jim was having heart failure, and not anything to really save him.  So he put jim to sleep I sat on the ground next to jim, telling him how much I loved him, and that someday when we meet again in heaven he owes me a ride, he gave me his nose kiss.  ( wiping tears from eyes).....

the vet gave him his shot, and I gave jim a hug and told him I loved him.......

and jim went to heaven.

Sissy my mare, came up to jim, whinned to him, sniffed him...touched him softly with her nose...and dropped her head and walked off...

it broke my heart.

~sheryl~

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is nothing harder than saying goodbye to a dear friend. My Appaloosa died at age 35 with her head in my lap. It was the kindest thing I could do for her, and the hardest thing I ever had to do. Few people can really understand what we go through at times like these, and nothing they can say will ease the pain. They say time heals all wounds, but I still miss her. I always will.  But you still have Missy. And y'all will have to pull each other through this loss. Gretchen Jackson (Barbaro's owner) said "Grief is the price we pay for love". And it is so true. But it is worth all the hurt in the long run. Where would any of us be without the love of a horse? It makes me a better person. I truly believe that. I know I will have to say goodbye to many more pets....and it's not something that I can prepare for. But I wouldn't give up the good times for anything in the world! Let's be thankful that we had these wonderful creatures share their lives with us, and that there will always be more who need us. Thank you for sharing your story.....we really do know how you feel....you are not alone.

Sheryl,

I am so sorry for your loss. I know your pain. I lost my horse Drifter two years ago. I too received a phone call and when I arrived Drifter called to me. I felt he was hoping I could fix him. All I could do was lay him to rest. I had a "great sadness" for a while but that passed when I realized he is in heaven. I will see him again. Just like you will see Big Jim again. I still miss Drifter and I will still get choked up but I would rather love my horse this much and feel the way I do than not know and feel the special bond we have with a horse. 

RSS

Advertise on TTR Website:

Want to share your message with other Tennessee Trail Riders' ?

Call or text me at 615-202-9912

Direct Email Communications: $.15/contact

Cheers and happy trails!

© 2019   Created by Mike Murphy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service