Tennessee Trail Riders

A social network of avid trail riders and horse enthusiasts

We are strictly a community of horse owners/lovers (4,000 members)

I'm more excited about our 2010 foals than ever before...

We are down to the final week or so in anticipation of our three April 2010 foals. I've never looked forward to a group of foals as much as I do this year. I've had the mares in their stalls for the past month, to get them off fescue, and they are looking good and feeling relaxed. We're expecting three this month, two of them are already 2 days overdue, the other due at the end of the month. Here is why I look forward to our 2010 foals:

1) Each year we breed our choc/white/silver dapple TWH stallion, Diamond Jim Starbuck, to our choc/white homozygous TWH mare. We are hoping and praying for a homozygous stud colt...it will be the first of it's kind as far as we know. In previous years this stallion/mare have produced a homozygous filly and an impressive spotted (choc/white) stud colt, but he wasn't homozygous. All of the previous foals have had incredible, quiet, smart dispositions and thick white manes just like the sire. According to UC Davis Veterinary School, we have a one in nine chance of getting a homozygous silver dapple spotted stud...this year will be attempt #3.

2) We have been fortunate to own an incredible 16hh dark choc/flax Rocky mare who has produced one beautiful black Kentucky Mountain colt, but last year we bred her to Destiny, a 16.1hh homozygous choc/flax Rocky stud; he's an awesome stud, she's an incredibly good natured, high headed, slick coated mare. I know that two perfect genetics don't guarantee perfect offsprings but we have a heck of a good chance.

3) Last year we got a 15.2 black Rocky Mare who produced one of the nicest colts seen in 25+ years of breeding but unfortunately the colt broke it's leg in two places and had to be put down...absolutely heart-wrenching. Well she was bred back to the same stud, Fairwinds Destiny (16.1hh, long, double-thick mane), and we hope she can produce an exceptional foal again!

Of course, first and foremost, we hope they are all healthy, but once health is assured, I can't wait to see what we get and then to spend time with the foals with calming, giving to pressure, and training to a lead. 

Stay tuned!!!

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics.
that is really funny...I have heard them called cat prints or cat paws and that they are frequently an indication that the horse is homozygous, but never heard there was a minimum number attached to it!
I guess it's kinda like calico cats (3 color) are always girls! That is the extent of my breeding knowledge!
Uhhh, yeh, just like calico cats. ;-)
lol...Ah doan kno nuthin bout birthin no babies!
Really? You sure fooled me. ;-) lmto (laughing my tail off) But I haven't forgotten you, I'll let you know when the next one is born, so you can come out to the farm, right now she's 12 days overdue.
Oh poor thing! I hope it happens soon for both of your sakes!
http://www.horsetesting.com/Tobiano.htm, You can go to this site and get all the info to get the test to know for sure, lol, for just 25.00. All you need is hair sample from you horse & mail it to them, all the instructions are online...There are several sites that do this, but this is the cheapest i have found. They also have other testing available.

Red/Black Factor
Agouti
Champagne Dilution
Cream Dilution
Pearl Dilution
Silver Dilution
Gray
Frame Overo (LWO)
Sabino 1
Tobiano

RSS

Advertise on TTR Website:

Want to share your message with other Tennessee Trail Riders' ?

Call or text me at 615-202-9912

Direct Email Communications: $.15/contact

Cheers and happy trails!

© 2022   Created by Mike Murphy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service